Friday, November 20, 2009

Arranged


I really enjoyed this film, Arranged, probably the most so far. I think it was a great way to start off this group about East meeting West. I liked how the two women allowed themselves to have the best of both cultures. The modern, American culture where Muslims and Jews both get along and can be good friends. And their traditional religious cultures by upholding modesty as well as their families' standards of arranging marriage. They were not pushed over by anyone, not the children, nor the principal, nor their families. I liked how the matches for each girl were what one would think of in the stereotype of a tradition arranged marriage; obnoxious, overweight, ugly, and old. But both stood their ground and held faith that the right man would come along. I loved Rochel's exercise on acceptance through the unity circle. I think this was a fantastic example of how to teach children about ignorance and that they all have choices on who they are friends with through a kinestetic activity. I would adjust this for high schoolers so that I could do something similar when I become a teacher. I thought it was great that the movie emphasized how both women's parents wanted the best for their daughters. I think there is a misconception that the women in arranged marriages have no choice, but my showing this it breaks down the stereotype to show these women do have choices. Overall, I think this was a great film to kick off this group and I really enjoyed it as well. I hope we have some time next week to discuss it!

3 comments:

  1. i really ejoyed reading your post!<3 i also loved the activity with the students and the unity circle. i think that this is a great way to show students the differences but to be accepting of them. GREAT BLOG!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the unity circle, too, though I was a little confused by it. It was a cute activity, but seemed very "picturesque." But I really liked the movie as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked the movie, Saralynn! I am thinking to put some of your comments about it into the book...

    ReplyDelete