Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Day of Ahmed's Secret and Sami and the Time of the Troubles


These two stories were kids books where the setting was in the Middle East. Of the two the first one, The Day of Ahmed's Secret, was my favorite. I really liked how the story built up to him learning how to write his name. In class we discussed how other people were disappointed that this was the big secret. We also discussed how many people could not believe how Ahmed seemed older yet he was just learning how to write his name. I really liked this book because for a kids' book it really shows how excited a little boy or girl can get about something so simple such as writing one's name. If I were a little kid and didn't really have any formal education I would probably be that excited as well. I would want to build my parents up by telling them all day that I had a big secret. I think every little kid knows how that feels to have a secret and the relief it is to finally share it. I enjoyed this book because I think American children could relate to the same excitement of learning to write. In class we discussed the comparison between The Day of Ahmend's Secret and Sami and the Times of the Troubles. The second book was significantly darker compared to the first one. There was a lot more intense subject matter and even the colors of the pictures were significantly darker. I think the second one would be better for a slightly older group of readers compared to the first book. But overall I really enjoyed reading these books; it was interesting to see an American's take on Middle Eastern children's literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment