Monday, October 12, 2009

Kalamazoo Islamic Center


On Thursday the class went to the Kalamazoo Islamic Center right next to Western's campus. We stayed for nearly two hours, and in that time I learned so much and had so many misconceptions and stereotypes broken down. I was so impressed by the Imam. He looked like he was only a few years older than us, but had such a wealth of information to offer. I think because he was so close to our age, he was able to relate his culture to something which for many is base knowledge in our own culture-Christianity. He made a lot of connections to Christianity and stressed the religious tolerance his religion has for others. In both Christianity and Islam, the religion asks the follower to do just that, be a follower and submit him/herself to God. Its just that between the two religions, the means to get there are different. I really liked how the Imam presented it almost like a history lesson, in that it wasn't pushy like how some Christian denominations can be. I found it really interesting the sense of community this religion has. It is a strong push for all followers to pray together in groups or in the mosque on Fridays to strengthen that bond. By encouraging followers to gather together there is a strong sense of community and family. I noticed how similar that was to our own class. I feel, that by having Dr. Webb have us spend 45 minutes the first day learning each others names and 5 minutes everyday after created a sense of community in our classroom. I've never had that with any other college class in the last three years. But I feel like I can make better connections with my peers because I know all of their names and feel "safe" sharing opinions during discussion. Overall, going to a mosque would have been something I never would have done if not for this class. I think this was definitely a cultural experience that I really enjoyed and think everyone should go at least once.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you got a lot out of the experience. I did, too. Your point about the importance of community in Islam and the role of the mosque in maintaining and supporting that seems important to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also very impressed by the Imam. He was so down to earth, yet filled with so much information! I really like that you brought up the name game we did in class, it really does create a sense of community, although I sucked at it (Saralee) haha. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like what you said about how when we played the name game that this created a sense of a community. i also feel that when we share our opinions we also know a little bit more about our classmates. I like reading your blogs! They are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete